If you want to start over from Year 1, but without losing your Book of Secrets entries
If you want to start from Year 1 with a new ranger, do *any* of the following--whichever is easiest for you:
- First, clear your shrine checkpoint. Then enter the forest and lose all your energy.
- First, clear your shrine checkpoint. Then enter the forest, talk to the mayor, and resign the mission. If that was only your first resignation (you get one "second chance" before you die), enter the forest again and resign the mission again.
- If playing on Steam, in v741 and higher, open the Options menu and choose the Restart Game option. This option should also be available in v1.02 on PS4, but v1.02 was not released at the time this article was written.
If you want to make the game as though you'd never played it before
If you wish to completely and utterly eliminate all progress (including your Book of Secrets progress), please follow the steps below. You might want to do this if, for example, you want to re-experience the fun of unlocking everything in the Book of Secrets again. Please email email@example.com if we can assist you in understanding these directions.
- From the main PlayStation menu, go to Settings > Application Saved Data Management.
- There are three options:
- Saved Data in System Storage
- Saved Data in Online Storage
- Saved Data on USB Storage Device
Steam (PC and Mac)
- If you're not already logged-in to the Steam application, log into it.
- If you're currently running the Road Not Taken game, exit from the game.
- Find your Save Files by following the directions here. When you've found them, rename both RoadNotTakenData.dat and RoadNotTakenData_backup.dat to something else temporarily (e.g., OldData.dat and OldData_backup.dat).
- Download the file "RoadNotTakenData.dat" from here. Save it in the folder from Step 3.
- Launch the game. It should begin from the very beginning.
- Prior to launching the game, Steam may inform you that there is a conflict between your local save file and your cloud save, and ask you which you'd like to use. If this happens, choose to use the LOCAL FILES.
Note: The file that Step 4 links to will probably change over time as we make changes to the game. So, each time you want to reset your progress, you should revisit this FAQ to make sure that you're always downloading the most up-to-date version of the file. Do NOT save the file to your computer just once and assume that it will always work for you in any future progress resets.